We at Pillar Learning are committed to your privacy. As you use the Pillar Learning Site and our Services, we want you to understand how we are using information and the ways in which we protect your family’s privacy.
- Information Pillar Learning collects
- How we use information we collect
- Pillar Learning’s data security and storage practices
- International users
- How you can contact Pillar Learning
Pillar Learning respects your family’s privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
Information We Collect
We collect three types of data about you and your children:
- Information that you or others provide to us;
- Information gathered from Voice Commands and Voice Chat; and
- Technical data passively collected from all visitors to the Pillar Learning Site.
Information You Provide
When using the Pillar Learning Site and Services, and when you sign up for a Pillar Learning Account, you may provide us with a combination of Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. Personal Information is information that you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, e-mail address, and phone number.
When you register on the mailing list or for our newsletter, your email address will be added to our contact list. We may also collect other information that you directly provide to us, such as when you send us an email, participate in our surveys, provide or request information from customer support, or otherwise submit information to us through our Services. Such information may include Personal Information such as your name, email, your telephone number, and your location.
Non-Personal Information cannot reasonably be used to identify you, such as password selected to use our Services, and your child’s first name name or nickname, month and year of birth, and gender. You may provide this information when you register for a Pillar Learning account or otherwise complete a transaction using the Pillar Learning Site.
You and your child can interact with Pillar Learning’s products by holding its microphone button and speaking to it. The Pillar Learning Product will then listen to you or your child, and we may capture Voice Commands during those interactions. Pillar Learning’s products will never collect any audio or voice data unless the button is held (that is, Pillar Learning’s products will not be “always listening”). These Voice Commands of children under age 13 are considered Personal Information under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). Pillar Learning obtains parental consent for their children’s use of the Services through an email communication to parents. By creating an Account, confirming consent through parental email, and using the Services, you certify that you provide such consent and are responsible for all activities under your Account.
We cannot prevent children from providing additional Personal Information when they interact with the Pillar Learning Product, and such information may be recorded in the Voice Commands and documented in the transcriptions derived from Voice Commands. We do not routinely monitor the Voice Commands, but it is our policy to delete such Personal Information disclosed in the Voice Commands and transcriptions if we become aware of it. Please contact us if you have reason to believe that your child has disclosed additional Personal Information in a Voice Commands, and we will be happy to delete it.
Pillar Learning products and Parent App also allow parents and their child to exchange personal voice messages through the voice chat feature. These voice messages are stored in Pillar Learning’s secure cloud servers and in the Parent App for you and your child to retrieve and play back. Pillar Learning may use these voice recordings to improve our products and services, with additional details in the “How We Use Information We Collect” section. There are no voice message-forwarding capabilities. Unless you or your child replay a voice message in front of others, there are no means by which you or your child may make any Personal Information publicly available through the use of our voice messaging Services.
Like most Web-based services, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser when you use the Pillar Learning Site. We may use a variety of methods, including Beacons and Cookies, to collect this Passively-Collected Data. The information that we collect with these automated methods may include, for example, your IP Address, Cookie information, a unique device or user ID, browser type, system type, the content and pages that you access on the Pillar Learning Site, and the “referring URL” (that is, the page from which you navigated to the Pillar Learning Site). We may also collect information when you use the Parent App, such as your device model and name, and mobile network information. We may also automatically collect certain logistical information in server logs, such as information about how you use various features of the Services, and length and frequency of each use.
MailChimp (to sync subscription data for e-mail services);
ShipBob (shipping fulfillment services); and
IBM WATSON speech to text API (voice recognition and transcription technology)
Information We Collect About Your Child
As described above, we collect information you provide about your child, including your child’s first name or nickname, month and year of birth, and gender. We also collect audio recordings made during your child’s interactions with Pillar Learning Products’ voice command and voice chat features, as well as any information disclosed in those recordings, including your child’s personal interests
How We Use Information We Collect
Pillar Learning uses the information we collect to establish, maintain, and enhance our relationship with you and your child.
We obtain your consent for your child’s use of the Services as explained above. By creating an Account, confirming consent through email, and using the Services, you certify that you provide such consent and are responsible for all activities under your Account.
Pillar Learning may also use the parental email and other information you provide, or that we automatically collect, through you and your child’s use of the Services, the Parent App and your Account, as follows:
- We use your contact information to get verifiable parental consent for your child’s use of Pillar Learning’s products and Services. We use the information we collect when you create a Pillar Learning Account, including your name, your child’s first name, and your email address, to obtain your consent pursuant to COPPA for your child’s use of the Pillar Learning Product and our Services. Your consent is required for Pillar Learning to collect and use the Personal Information we collect from your child’s Voice Commands and voice chat messages. Your child will not be able to interact with the Pillar Learning Product unless and until we receive your consent. If you do not provide consent within two (2) weeks of creating your Pillar Learning Account, we will delete your online contact information from our records.
- We use the information we collect to display and personalize content on the Pillar Learning Site and to communicate with you. We use the information we collect to provide and maintain our Services; to enhance your user experience; to send you notifications, confirmations, updates, product announcements, security alerts, and administrative messages; and to otherwise facilitate your and your child’s use of, and our administration and provision of, the Services.
- When you sign-up for an Account, we use the Personal and Non-Personal Information you provide to create and maintain your Account. We also use your child’s age to tailor the Pillar Learning Product’s interactions with your child.
- We also track your child’s use of Pillar Learning Products to understand your child’s usage habits and personal interests, so that Pillar Learning Products can deliver more personalized interactions and content for your child.
- We use audio recordings for voice commands and voice chat to improve upon our Services, and to develop new products and Services. We also use the information we collect to enhance and personalize our Services.
- We do not share the audio recordings or transcriptions thereof with our service providers or any third parties.
- Pillar Learning never uses audio recordings or their content, including any Personal Information that may be captured in the recordings, to contact children or to advertise to them.
- We store audio recordings only as long as necessary to transcribe the content for these purposes, after which the recordings are permanently deleted from our servers. You may request deletion of your child’s Voice Commands and associated logs and transcripts by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, in response to which we will permanently delete the Voice Commands, logs and transcripts from our servers.
- We use the information we collect for customer service. During customer service communications, we may collect information in order to respond to your communications and requests, provide customer service, request feedback, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Services. During these customer service communications, we do not anticipate obtaining Personal Information about your child other than the information we already have. We may monitor and analyze demographic trends relating to customer service requests.
Information we share with others.
Your privacy is important. We are committed to protecting information that identifies you personally, where you have chosen to keep it private. While we may share Non-Personal Information, we will only share your Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- With Pillar Learning service providers. When Pillar Learning hires a service provider to help operate the Pillar Learning Site or our business (including vendors and payment processors), Pillar Learning may give access to certain Personal Information necessary for the service provider to undertake its work, in which case we will require those service providers to honor the privacy of your Personal Information. Pillar Learning currently uses the following third party service providers to provide its Services. In doing so, it discloses only your email address (but no other Personal Information about your or your child) to these service providers:
- MailChimp (operated by The Rocket Science Group, LLC): Pillar Learning sends email messages using MailChimp’s email message-sending services. The Rocket Science Group, LLC does not disclose your email address to any third parties.
- ShipBob (ShipBob, Inc): ShipBob handles shipping fulfillment services for Pillar Learning, including storing, packing and shipping Pillar Learning Products to Pillar Learning’s customers. Pillar Learning shares Personal Information, including names and addresses, with ShipBob as necessary in order to facilitate the shipping services ShipBob provides to Pillar Learning. ShipBob has implemented and will maintain appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures intended to protect Pillar Learning’s customers’ Personal Information, including encryption of data during transmission of the shipping fulfillment services and authentication credentials. ShipBob does not have access to Pillar Learning’s customers’ credit card information.
- With Pillar Learning affiliates and partners. We may share some or all of your Personal Information with our affiliates and partners (including a parent company, subsidiaries, other companies that we control or that are under common control with us, and joint venture partners), in which case we will require those affiliates and partners to protect and use your personal information as described in this policy. At this time, Pillar Learning does not have any parent company, subsidiary, other company in its control or that is under common control with it, or joint venture partner, and we do not currently share your Personal Information with any affiliates or partners.
- In the event of merger or sale. If Pillar Learning is involved in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, or any form of sale of some or all of its business, Personal Information may be transferred with the business.
Aggregated and Anonymized data.
We may use information we collect in aggregated forms. That is, we may combine information about our users, including aggregated demographic information about children, with that of others in an anonymous manner to create Aggregate Information. Aggregate Information does not contain or constitute Personal Information. In such cases, there will be no identifying information disclosed about you or your children. When we employ non-Pillar Learning companies to anonymize or aggregate data on our behalf, we will protect your Personal Information by following our requirements for sharing Personal Information with third party service providers.
We may also share transcripts, text, or data created from the audio recordings that no longer contains an individual’s voice, with service providers or other third parties. These transcripts, text and data will contain only Non-Personal Information (not voices and not Personal Information) that cannot be used to identify any individual.
- Information we gather through public sources.
Our Data Security and Storage Practices
We work hard to protect Pillar Learning and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. Pillar Learning follows industry standards and best practices to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use and disclosure. For example, we store the personal information we collect on computer systems with limited access, which are located in controlled facilities. When we transmit highly confidential information (such as a credit card number or password) over the Internet, we protect it through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. Pillar Learning stores and processes Personal Information in databases hosted in the United States. We make good faith efforts to store data securely, but do not guarantee the safety of data.
Your Wi-Fi credentials are stored in an encrypted section of Pillar Learning Products so that it can connect to our servers and the Parent App via the Internet. Actions taken by a child on the are also stored locally on Pillar Learning products. No audio recordings are stored on Pillar Learning Products.
Please be aware that, despite our efforts, no security measures are impenetrable. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that any method of data transmission will protect against any interception or other type of misuse.
Your Choices Regarding the Use of Your Information
You may request access to and correction of the Personal Information we retain. Under COPPA, parents have the right to review or have deleted any Personal Information, including audio recordings that are still on our servers, collected from their child that Pillar Learning holds. You may also refuse to permit further collection or use of your child’s Personal Information, including audio recordings. If you request that we delete Personal Information, including but not limited to audio recordings, they will be permanently deleted and we will no longer retain that Personal Information in any form. If you wish to review or have us delete such Personal Information or audio recordings, please email us at email@example.com
If you wish to stop further collection or use of your child’s Personal Information, including audio recordings or to delete your email address, you may choose to permanently delete your Account by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that, by permanently deleting your Account, you will disable the functionality of associated Pillar Learning Products. To reinstate functionality at a later date, you may set up a new Account using a different email address.
You may also opt out of receiving emails from us at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in those emails.
The Pillar Learning Site is intended for users in the United States. By accessing the Pillar Learning Site or providing us data, you agree that we may use and disclose the data we collect as described herein or otherwise communicated to you, transmit it outside of your resident jurisdiction, and store it on servers in the United States. For more information, please contact us at support@Pillarlearning.com
How You Can Contact Us
You may also write to us at:
Pillar Learning, Inc
Attn: Pillar Learning Privacy
92 SW 3rd St APT 2605
Miami FL, 33130
In order to use the Services and for your child to be able to interact with his or her Pillar Learning product, you must register for a Pillar Learning Account through the Parent App. When you sign up for a Pillar Learning Account, you may provide us with a combination of Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. By creating an Account and using the Services, you certify that you provide consent for use of the Services by you and your child, and that you are responsible for all activities and use of the Services under your Account.
Aggregate Information means information about groups or categories of Site users that does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual user. Aggregate Information is a type of Non-Personal Information.
Application Program Interfaces (APIs)
An API is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications that define the methods of communication among various software components.
Web Beacons are electronic files that may be used in the Site and Services, and in emails from us relating to the Site and the Services. We may use Web Beacons to monitor user activity on the Site, such as to count Site visits, understand how our Site is used, and to tell if an email has been opened.
A Cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. Cookies used cannot read data from your device. When you visit the website again, the Cookie allows that site to recognize your browser as a previous visitor. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can set your browser to refuse all Cookies or to indicate when a Cookie is being sent, or to clear out Cookie information. However, some features or Services of the Pillar Learning Site may not function properly without Cookies.
Every device connected to the Internet is assigned a unique number known as an Internet protocol (IP) address. Because these numbers are usually assigned in country- and ISP-based blocks, an IP Address can often be used to identify the country and ISP from which a device is connecting to the Internet.
Non-Personal Information is information that does not directly identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual user.
The Parent App refers to the mobile application through which a parent can use the Services, monitor their child’s interactions with the Pillar Learning Product, and send voice messages to their child through Pillar Learning Products. In order to use the Services and for your child to be able to interact with his or her Pillar Learning product, you must register for a Pillar Learning Account through the Parent App.
Passively-Collected Data is data we automatically receive and record on our server logs from your browser when you use the Pillar Learning Site. We may use a variety of methods, including Beacons and Cookies, to collect this information and recognize it as yours. The information we collect using these automated methods may include a user’s IP Address, Cookie information, a unique device or user ID, browser type, system type, the content and pages that you access on the Pillar Learning Site, and the “referring URL” (the page from which you navigated to the Pillar Learning Site).
Personal Information is information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s name, e-mail address, and telephone number. Personal Information does not include information available from public sources. When Non-Personal Information is directly or indirectly associated with Personal Information, Pillar Learning protects this Non-Personal Information as it does Personal Information.
Pillar Learning tracks your child’s favorite types of content and interactions, as determined by how he or she interacts with and uses Pillar Learning Products. For example, Pillar Learning may learn that your child enjoys stories relating to animals. Pillar Learning may then use this information to customize the Pillar Learning Product’s future content recommendations and interactions with your child.
The Pillar Learning Services are defined to include the Pillar Learning Site, its features, applications, data and products, including speech-processing services relating to your child’s interactions with the Pillar Learning Product.
The Voice Commands are defined as the sound recordings made when your child holds a Pillar Learning Product’s microphone button and speaks to interact with the product. Pillar Learning Products do not otherwise listen or record voice commands unless the microphone button is held.
Voice Chat is the feature where your child can hold the voice chat button to record a voice message to be played on the parent app, and parents can leave voice messages from the app through the Pillar Learning product. Pillar Learning Products do not otherwise listen or record voice chat messages unless the voice chat button is held, or if the parent records a voice chat message through the parent app.
Pillar Learning Site
The term Pillar Learning Site includes all internet-based properties owned and operated by Pillar Learning, including but not limited to Pillar Learning Products, Parent App, and web applications.
Pillar Learning Product
The term Pillar Learning Product refers to current and future lines of interactive storytelling products with content playback, voice recording, voice playback, and simulated speech capabilities for the purposes of engaging with and educating children.